Thursday, May 30, 2013

Praising In The Chasm

"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet,
the stones will cry out." Luke 19:40
     A long year brought me to this spot on the rugged trail, a guide and handful of other woman stopped to rest. Considering I was the lagger, the stop was probably for my benefit. It was a beautiful day. For me it was a fought for day. I battled poor health to be able to hike that day. The year before I was winded just walking around the retreat center and it was relatively flat. 
    Being out of shape had become my giant and I'd battled it. I still have a ways to go. I haven't conquered it but I'm not going to let poor health conquer me. I thought of David and Goliath as I looked at the stones in the path that day. When others laughed and said you can't, David said my God says I can. I was already thinking about this new blog so took a picture.
     A funny thing happened on the way to the keyboard. I read Luke 19:40 and had a new perspective. I happened to look across the room at my bookcase and noticed Max Lucado's Facing Your Giants. Hmmmm, I wondered, what if the stone released from David's sling was singing praise as it flew through the chasm of fear between the people and Goliath? 
     We are called to praise Him in all things. What if we hurled praise at our problems while standing in the chasm life has placed us in? Whether it be a chasm created by poor health, lost jobs, divorce, or grief--what if we just praised God in it? It would call God into our pain, and it would serve another purpose. There's a certain Giant out there that can't stand to hear God's praises so when the praises start he takes his scaly little self and slithers away. 
     So next time you're facing a giant, pick up a stone and let it sing praises through the chasm and join in the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment