Thursday, September 8, 2022

 

And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, 
Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, 
I will avenge her,
lest by her continual coming she weary me. Luke 18:4-5

 

        I call this the Persistence Parable and I am sure someone read it to my children without my consent. Many of you know what I’m talking about. Kids beg and whine until we give in if only to shut them up. There are two points to be made here lest I leave the parable misinterpreted.

       First and foremost, the opening verse of the chapter that Jesus was teaching about prayer. We need to be praying in God’s will. Since we are not to kill and told to love our neighbor we cannot pray for the death of our neighbor. Rather we are to bring our gifs of praise and heartfelt pleas to Him continuously. Are you praying for a lost loved one? Keep praying. Is someone among you sick? Keep praying. Are you in need of a job to provide for your family? Keep praying.

      Secondly the woman was seeking legal protection from someone who had harmed her. Perhaps this is the Biblical equivalent of the modern-day restraining order. I’m not sure. What I do know is that at the end of the parable Jesus talked to His disciple about its meaning. God the Father will bring justice for those who are His. We must not give up praying thinking He’s not listening. I also don’t believe God is bothered by our persistence. If we are praying by faith in His will, He rejoices in it.  So please don’t lose heart. He hears your prayers, and His timing is perfect. Keep praying, seeking His will and afterward, pray.

1 comment:

  1. I love that God rejoices in it when we pray by faith in His will!

    ReplyDelete