Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I Will Remember You

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it
and remember the everlasting covenant between
God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
Genesis 9:16

Maybe it was a sense of vanity but I wanted a permanent marker to sign copies of my first book before sending them off to friends who'd asked for them. The store I went to didn't sell single packs of the turquoise color I wanted so I grabbed the rainbow pack. Then at the register I noticed the display of single colors ... every color but the turquoise. I signed my books with the color that reminded me of my favorite cross necklace and there sat the rest of the pens in the craft drawer.

The thing about these permanent markers is that they aren't really permanent. I used to label my young son's toys in case he left them outside but "Billy" eventually faded. I wrote the local phone number of my health plan on the back of the card which is barely legible now. I guess that means my signature will fade too but not as fast. It's not exposed to the sun or being rubbed against the inside of my wallet regularly. 

But God's covenent is everlasting, another word for permanent. His promises do not fail, nor does He break them. Now, being that He's God I doubt He'd ever forget but He created a rainbow as a sign. The sign is not the promise however so even if you can't see the rainbow after the storm, His promises remain.

Enviornmental circumstances won't fade them. Excessive handling won't fade them. Unlike permanent markers which are useless when they run out of ink, the well of His provision will not dry up. Just as the Psalmist said, His mercies are new every morning. 

The problem with most humans, myself included, is that we relate to words through our experience. According to the dictionary permamnent, especially in regards to ink, means non-fading but I can barely read my little boy's name on his squirt gun. I have not experienced permanent so it's hard sometimes to grasp this everlasting covenant God has with His people. And because of that, I don't think I claim His promises as often as I should and I find myself worrying which means I doubt His provision.

I need to start seeing God the way He sees Himself ... in living color at the ready to keep His promises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment