Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Love Keeps No Record of Wrongs

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
1 Crinthians 13:4-5

      She sees the shirt in the Christian bookstore and has to have it. Nevermind that she's of a generation that didn't experience the joy of shiny new vinyl or the fun of playing records at the wrong speed. Her generation is more familiar with shiny silver, not shiny black discs and they're half the size of my albums. CD's will never have "chipmunk mode" and they don't really lend themselves to clever Epistle Tees but they do travel better.

      So now this teenage carrier of my and my husband's DNA is sporting a shirt with a colorful graphic of albums and words that say, "Love keeps no record of wrongs." It's a tough lesson to remember. Especially when you have teenagers. I used to think "the love chapter" was about wives and husbands but now I'm seeing things differently.

     The love chapter is not the lover chapter, it's for anyone you are called to love. It's for children to learn to relate to their parents. It's for parents to learn to relate to their children. It's for neighbor to learn to relate to neighbor. It's for you to relate to me and me to you. 

     The chapter starts with these words, "And now I will show you the most excellent way." The most excellent way to what? To live in harmony as one body with many parts as Paul was telling the church in Corinth to do. Keep no record of wrongs.

      There is a smudge on the album above that I didn't notice until I looked at the picture. But I've played that album and the smudge doesn't affect it ... still I need to buff it out. There are things we in the church do to each other that do affect us and they are to be dealt with. It's like when the record skips, you get up and move the needle and continue listening.

    So deal with the wrongs but keep no record of them. Keep on loving and living in harmony with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment