Monday, August 19, 2013

The B-I-B-L-E Yes That's The Book for Me

"Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets
so that a herald may run with it." Habakkuk 2:2

What you see in the picture above are 9 Bibles that belong to me representing 8 versions. I've got: New Century, New Living, New King James, New International, New American Standard, New Revised Standard, King James and The Message. The last one is a paraphrase, not a translation. They all serve the same purpose---to make scripture understandable, or plain. The New Century and one of the NIV's are also devotional Bibles to help me deepen my walk by spending time reflecting on The Word.

Over the years I've heard different debates on whether or not certain versions are acceptable translations. I don't care about that. I care about understanding and will sometimes consult 2 or 3 versions when reading. The versions I have are readily accepted by the church and agree with each other so I'm not likely to be steered wrong. But sometimes slightly different wording will turn the "oh I get it" lightbulb on in my head.

Isn't that the important part? Understanding? 
"The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me.
I stand alone on the Word of God,
The B-I-B-L-E." 

No, I don't stand alone on one version but I do stand alone on one Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment