Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"There you will worship man-made gods of wood and stone which cannot see or hear or eat or smell. But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distess and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the Lord your God and obey him." Deuteronomy 4:28-30


     My car radio has preset buttons so I rarely use the SEEK button. About the only time I have used it is on road trips when I get out of range of my local stations. The verses above come after Moses warns the people against idol worship. If they did what was evil in God's eyes they would not see the Promised Land but be scattered among the nations, places where idol worship is common. The New Century Version of verse 29 says, "But even there you can look for the Lord your God, and you will find him if you look for him with your whole being." We live in a world so full of idol worship we hardly notice it. We go through life choosing the soundtrack from our preset buttons until we hit static. Then, because that is not enjoyable, we hit the SEEK button. And we keep hitting it until it settles on something we like, perhaps even something familiar. On my last long trip to see relatives I hit the SEEK button landing on a Christian station I'd listened to before on that stretch of the highway and then I took it a step further. I hit the SET button. Now anytime I'm in the area I don't have to search through the static and poor excuses for music, I can go straight to the inspirational music that feeds my soul. 
      I've found what I need, no Who I need as I travel life's road. 
      Still it occurs to me that maybe I shouldn't be relying on preset buttons. My SEEK button should not be gathering dust. Now that I've found Him the search is not over. Now it is time to SEEK His Will daily. I can't obey Him if I don't know what He wants. And I can't know that unless I turn off the noise and tune into His Word. Yes, even the Christian music so I can hear His Voice.

SEEK and SET ... two buttons to be used daily.
SEEK Him.
SET your mind on Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment