Saturday, June 3, 2023

 

For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother:

and He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. Matthew 15:4

 

         My parents were easy to honor because they were honorable people. I used to think it was easy to honor my father because he died when I was young. I hadn’t reached my teen-age years which is when the world begins to look ugly. But really he was loved and left a great hole.

       My relationship with my mother was not that fortunate. I am confident I never cursed her or sought to dishonor her but we went through our rough patches. It’s accepted of mothers and daughters in this day and age and practically expected.

      Honor, simply honor: it is the only commandment with a promise. It’s there in the middle of a couple of stone tablets. “Honour thy father and thy mother; that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.” (Leviticus 20:12) But now I see that there is also a consequence if you go to the other extreme and curse your parents.  And it isn’t simply death but being put to death. I have no idea what that is or how painful it would be so I am thankful I have honored them. I intend to keep honoring them.

      Honoring isn’t always simple. I know there are mothers who don’t deserve honor and to do so would be a struggle. Perhaps the son or daughter who chooses to honor the difficult mother will have a greater reward. I do not know. I just know that it says to honor. Perhaps the issue is dealt with elsewhere. 

        I miss my mother and have done my best to honor her. Hopefully you are able to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment