Monday, July 3, 2023

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay:

for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. Matthew 5:37

 

      In 2009 I began a journey of learning. I am learning the value of communication. My education is Toastmasters International and my educators are people like me. We each have our own  reasons to want to be better speakers. For some it is required for work. Some, like me feel they have a story to share and Toastmaster’s provides the platform for sharing. My preferred platform is an 8 ½ by 11 inch piece of paper but those who would take a bunch of those pieces of paper which I’ve written on and turn them into a published book say I need to be able to promote my book.

     So here I am, a little girl stepping out of the speech therapy trailer where she learned how to pronounce words better and stepping onto the stage. It can be a scary place: supportive but scary. On this particular day I am in a Table Topics contest. A question that I do not know ahead of time is asked of me and I must formulate my answer. How I wish I could simply say yes I agree with that statement and sit down. But this is a timed event. I have to speak for at least a minute but no more than 2 minutes 30 seconds. It feels like the second part of the verse. Whoever does not meet the time limit will be disqualified from the competition.

    What about God’s requirements? He says to let your yes be yes and your no be no. Be sure of your answer and your convictions without justification, explanation or excuses. 

     God has given each of us a story. Be ready to tell yours.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment