Wednesday, August 23, 2023

 "So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline." Colossians 3:12 (The Message)

It's back to school time. Today, there is a local Shop With A Cop event to help families get things needed for school. Each child is paired with a police officer who helps them pick out outfits and shoes, using a budget provided by a local charity.  Then they are given a backpack to fill with donated supplies. A mother was just interviewed expressing her gratitude and feelings of being blessed. She told her children to say thank you a lot. "Wear the word out." (Mother on Fox 12 news 8/23/23.) 

Now look what God has picked out for us, priceless characteristics that will help us live harmoniously in this world. Disclaimer, I usually use the NIV but I like the way Eugene Peterson worded this. The NIV says, "clothe yourselves" while The Message makes it clear that compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, and discipline, are God given. I don't know how people navigate this world without God's help. I need God to clothe me. Yes, I will be the one "getting dressed" every morning, but I can do so confident that He has chosen the best "clothes" for me. 

But back to that mom on the news who told her kids to wear the word thanks out. Am I wearing out the word when it comes to all God has given me? He not only clothes me but fills me with what I need. So, thank You Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment